Monday 22 July 2013

Home Sewn Top

Today I have FINALLY finished my first ever home sewn top! I am so chuffed, honestly, it has taken me so long. I am sure many of you out there are a whiz on the sewing machine and when you see it you'll be thinking 'I could have knocked that up in half an hour'! But this is my first ever home made garment and I have never set eyes on a pattern before. Oh the joys!

Although I enjoyed the first series of The Great British Sewing Bee, I never fancied venturing into this new territory as it scared me. I have been quite good at a making a few basic soft furnishing items but the thought of making a piece of clothing? Well...*shudders*

Anyway, I decided to pop along to my favourite local fabric shop My Fabric Place in Beeston where they have a fabulous array of patterns and fabric and haberdashery items (this is like heaven for me) and I chose a simple vest/t-shirt pattern, some dainty floral fabric and matching thread.

This isn't a tutorial as my mind boggles at how it actually ended up being finished! But it is - ta-da - and I wore it out this afternoon. I can safely say I AM PROUD... of myself...!

 
 

 
 
 
 
Out of everything I had to buy the pattern was the most expensive at around £10. The fabric was £5.99/m and I used a metre and a half. The thread was about £1.50. Just looking at the pictures - the top looks quite big but I think its the angle. It is made to a size 10 and fits perfectly.
 
I suppose you could say it's not a cheap top and yes you could nip into town and get one far cheaper, but that's not the point! With making your own item you can tailor it to your own body shape. For example, I have bigger boobs so I can alter the darts on the front of the top to fit nicely.
 
Maybe you should give it a go and try making something for yourself It creates the most unbelievable satisfaction!
 
TTFN
 
X

No comments:

Post a Comment