Sunday 18 August 2013

Sally Bee

Lately I'm feeling in a healthy mood and want to cook tasty, simple dishes that aren't too stodgy or fattening. Winter pies and casseroles are not far off round the corner so I want to make the most of lighter meals that all the family can enjoy.

My latest favourite cookbook is Sally Bee - The Recipe For Life, which is her second book following The Secret Ingredient.


The reason I enjoy her cookbook so much is because I love the philosophy behind it. A down to earth mother of three who, at the age of 36, experienced 3 heart attacks in one week due to a rare medical condition. From then on she ensured to have a healthy life style and introduce meals which would maintain a healthy heart. In her words 'a healthy lifestyle is your best insurance policy' and I am starting to really agree with this.

Especially now I have Benjamin I am getting increasingly interested in organic and healthy ways of living. I am hoping to do a post on this another time but for now I want to share with you one of the recipes I regularly make - Chicken and Rice. Most of her recipes use what the earth provides and are simple, quick and tantalising. They are also packed with nutrients.

Here we go.
 
Can you tell by the stains I use this recipe a lot?
Serves 4
Ingredients:
  • 4 tbsp olive oil
  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
  • 1 large onion, peeled and finely sliced
  • 1 green, 1 red and 1 yellow bell pepper, deseeded and chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves crushed
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 x 400g tin chopped toms
  • 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves (I used dried)
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 175g rice
  • 750ml chicken or vegetable stock
  • 4 tbsp tom puree
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • black pepper
  • 100g frozen peas
I realise it looks like a long list of ingredients but most of them I am sure you will have in your store cupboard.

1) Pre-heat the oven to 180degreesC/350F/Gas mark 4
2) Fry the chicken breasts in an oven proof casserole dish with 2tbsp of olive oil, turning frequently until evenly browned (roughly 4-5 mins). Remove from the casserole dish and set aside.
3) Add the remaining oil and fry the onion until softened. Then add all the peppers and garlic until they start to soften. Add the paprika, bay leaves, tomatoes, thyme and oregano and stir in the rice. Fry for 1-2 mins.
 
A colourful dish
 

4) Next add the chicken or veg stock, tom puree, lemon juice and season to taste with the black pepper.
5) Return the chicken breasts to the casserole and push them down into the rice, cover and cook in the oven for 15 mins. Then add the peas and return to the oven for a further 10-15 mins ensuring the chicken is cooked throughout and the rice is tender.
6) Serve straight from the casserole dish. Sally suggests adding extra green veg but we eat it on its own. Bon appetite!
 
 
 

I didn't take a picture of the final dish as I was too eager to eat and basically I am just covering up for the fact I completely forgot.

I definitely recommend both her books and she also has a sweets and deserts book out which I haven't bought just yet. She does everything from full filling salads to satisfying soups and mouth watering meat dishes to freshly made fishy dinners.

Enjoy

X

1 comment:

  1. I have all 3 of her books and use them regularly. I've actually just taken her Chocolate and Beetroot cake out of the oven. xx

    ReplyDelete