Wednesday 21 August 2013

A lovely day with lovely people






I am on a major budget until we get paid a week on Friday. Due to us going on holiday in the first week of the holiday (where we may have overspent slightly) and it being a 5 week month...well, lets just say the money I planned for us to have left at the end of the month is rather different to what is sitting in our bank account. Pfft.

This morning my mum and sister picked me and Benjamin up and whisked us off into town. My sister had her hair cut and whilst we waiting mum treated me to Valerie Patisserie. I had been eager to go since it opened in Westfield, Derby and overall it was a wonderful experience. A cafe in which you are waited on, you have a menu for your cakes and they also serve all day breakfast. Ace! I chose a Raspberry Tart and an Americano with milk and my mum had a warmed buttered scone. Whilst my mum said her scone was the best she had ever tasted, I wasn't so pleased with my tart. The pastry was so hard I had to saw through it with a knife and the raspberries were so tart and unbearably tangy, I had to scrape them off and left them. Usually I would say it is a crime to leave the raspberries! The only positive aspect of the tart was the creme patisserie layer. Maybe I'll have to visit again and try something else...

We also found some bargains in the pound shop! Remember this blog I did on Sally Bee? Her other book 'The Secret Ingredient' was in there. Yes, for just £1! It is still retailing online for £10. They also sell cake tin liners for £1. Not long ago I bought some from Morrisons for £4.99. I also purchased a revlon nail polish in a lovely summery coral colour.
I believe it is all about picking the right things. You would never have to know I purchased the above items from Poundshop. However, some of the food items are in smaller quantities so that they can retail for £1. I debated over whether to buy some After Eights, which are sold for £3.99 in Morrisons. Although they are one of my favourite treats, I can't justify spending that on a treat for myself. But the After Eights in poundland was about half the size of a normal packet and they also expired next month. I bought a packet anyway but to my dismay, they were covered in that white coating certain chocolate gets when it is nearing the end of its shelf life.

Anyway, this afternoon I visited Markeaton Park with my friends Judith and Kerryn. Benjamin had a run around and let off some steam after being strapped in the pram for a while and we chatted away. I spent £4.20 in all. £2 on 2 bottles of water for us to share, £1.50 on car park, and 70p on an ice lolly.

I then came home and spent some time with Luke, once he had woke up from his night shift. I then made a lovely hidden vegetable pasta sauce which everyone loves, especially Benjamin who has suddenly decided to become fussy and not eat any veg! This sauce contains 5 vegetable and pair it with wholeweat pasta you're onto a winner! I know I am showing you a lot of recipe's lately that don't include meat but that's because we can't really afford it! I do one or two meat dishes a week and the rest are veg dishes.

I have had a busy but successful day seeing lots of people I care about and have spent just under £8. I appreciate not everyone has family who can treat them like mine does but this makes me feel even more lucky.
I love nothing more than making the most out of my days away from work with Benjamin, friends and family. Now I can go to sleep happy.

X

No comments:

Post a Comment