Monday 9 September 2013

Sally Bee Pea and Courgette Soup

Today, with my BARGAIN POUNDSHOP purchase of the Sally Bee recipe book (see my previous post here), I made her Pea and Courgette Soup. I wish I could add smells to my blog posts because if you could get a whiff of my kitchen not too long ago it was deeeelicous.

As I have mentioned previously, every week I try to make a batch of freezable soups. This is to stop me having sandwhiches for my lunch and to add some extra veg into my daily intake. I also like to have something ready and available if I'm busy or need to get somewhere and therefore I can just defrost and reheat my soups!

The reason I chose this soup was because recently my mother-in-law (ok, well technically she isn't yet but I say it so Luke will get the hint *winks*) had a bundle of courgettes she was given by a friend and then distributed them to us so I was flicking through Sally's book and found the perfect recipe!

Here is my (well, not mine but Sally's Recipe)

Ingredients - Serves 6
  • Dash of Olive Oil
  • 4 small Courgettes
  • 1 small Onion
  • 900ml Chicken Stock
  • 225g Fresh or Frozen Peas (I used frozen)
  • Fresh Basil torn
  • Black Pepper 
1) Heat the olive oil in a pan and add the courgettes and onion. Saute for 10 mins until the vegetables start to soften.
 
2) Pour in the stock, then bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 15 mins.
 
 

3) Add the peas to the soup and simmer for a further 5 mins.
 
 
4) Blend the Soup and stir in the basil and black pepper.
 

Finished!

I then split my soup between freezable pots, labelled them and popped them in the freezer.

 

This is such a good recipe if you grow your own courgette's and have a few to use up. It virtually costs nothing if, like me, you have a few onions lying around and grow basil on your windowsill. 6 days lunch for around £1.50 for me as all I had to buy were the peas. 25p a portion! I love being frugal.

X

1 comment:

  1. I love this soup. I also enjoy batch cooking, whether it be soups, bolognese or stews. It means there is always a home cooked meal available from the freezer for those busy days!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete